City Priorities and Challenges
Southampton can look ahead to a period of major growth which will bring between 10 - 20,000 additional jobs, over 16,000 homes and significant commercial floor space. In a tight financial climate, the main priorities are to achieve sustained economic growth and low cost, efficient, customer centred services to benefit all local people and businesses in the city. The four key city challenges are:
• Stimulating higher levels of business start up
• Increasing rates of job growth, particularly in the private sector
• Stimulating additional inward investment
• Encouraging higher levels of employment and economic activity
• Tackling deprivation in specific areas of the city, including completing a successful Estate Regeneration programme.
2. EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT AND SKILLS:
• Supporting local schools and colleges to improve and be excellent
• Increasing educational attainment and skills
• Increasing the proportion of young people who are in education, employment or training
• Improving life chances for children in care and care leavers.
3. WELL BEING:
• Safeguarding children and families
• Supporting vulnerable people and promoting long term independence
• Improving health and reducing health inequalities
• Reducing crime and Anti Social Behaviour rates and improving public perception of crime
• Encouraging active citizenship, volunteering and personal responsibility.
4. A SUSTAINABLE, GREEN AND ATTRACTIVE ENVIRONMENT:
• Meeting the housing growth needs to support the economy
• Securing transport and infrastructure needs to support the economy
• Developing a high quality street scene
• Meeting our Carbon Reduction Commitments.